I suppose it's in reaction to the giant blanket I just finished (which, er, I haven't done a final blog instalment on), but I've been churning out all sorts of quick items, using up stash.
I found this blog post about pan protectors on Pinterest, and it just seemed like such a good idea. Not only will it keep the pans from scratching each other — although you can see it's too late for the sample pan in the top photo — but they won't clatter so much when I put them away.
The pattern is from Vivian Høxbro's Domino Knitting book. She starts the book by giving directions for a series of potholders, each focusing on a different domino knitting technique. I've always been fond of this octagonal one, but this is the first time I've made it. The yarn is just standard dishcloth cotton worked on 4mm needles. The pattern called for smaller needles and DK cotton, but worsted is what I had in stash, so that's what got used. Turns out I knit more tightly than the book's sample knitters, so my pot holder is the same size as what's prescribed in the book despite the thicker yarn and bigger needles.
I can see making more. All of the ends are woven in as one knits, and there are no seams. The only thing I don't like about this one is that I wasn't very picky about the size of the circular needles used for the edging, and I should have gone up a size instead of down:
I'm doing a bit of an apartment upgrade at the moment, but very much on the cheap. For instance, I finally found a set of glass mixing bowls to replace the icky scratched-up black ones that were given to me. I wear a lot of black, but I do not like it in my cookware! (All right, except for appliances, but there's not much choice there.) They're a clear set of nesting bowls, so I think they'll be getting protectors as well.
This could be a really fun way to use up stash.